Wednesday, December 20, 2006

A Milestone

Today, my two year old son took his first dump in a toilet on his own.

He anncounced the news to me "I poop!"

I'm so proud.

And a little sad, because, there was a part of me that, aside from the odor, really enjoyed changing his diaper. When I took him back to his mothers in Hawaii last month I changed him at the airport before handing him over and it occured to me that I was likely changing his last diaper.

Diaper changing is a very intimate bonding experience, in case you've never done it. He and I would make a game of it. Or we'd talk. During diaper changing you see total trust. It was while changing his diaper I saw him pull two concepts together. He asked for the LTR, whom he calls "Pappa." I said "Pappa's at work." To which he said, "Pappa, work. Daddy, home." On his own he put two people and two seperate concepts together. It's really amazing to watch that process come together -- almost like you can see the synapses connecting before you very eyes.

But, he's pooping like a big boy now.

I'm so proud.

No comments: