Friday, February 20, 2009

War Crimes and Truth Commissions

I believe the Bush Administration engaged in war crimes.

Yet I am dubious about the desire by many on the left to prosecute or hold "truth commissions."

I am not unswayed by arguments that the United States isn't above the law and that if what the Bush Admin did was done by another country against us we would be seeking war crimes prosecutions. I'm not agnostic to the fact that punishing those who committed the crimes would restore some of America's moral authority.

I just don't know if I trust the Democrats in charge of Congress to conduct the hearings seriously and fairly in today's partisan-charged environment. Any attempt to use the proceedings for partisan gain or retribution for political slights would risk de-legitimizing the outcomes and further divide this country. And I just don't know if leaders in Congress (in either party) could rise to the level of seriousness such proceedings would demand.

I know, it's not a satisfactory position.

Thoughts?

2 comments:

Gilahi said...

He turned me into a newt!

I got better.

Burn him anyway!

mjhogan53213 said...

I completely agree about the Democrats leading our congress and I have to say I am very disappointed. I am glad to see polls today still showing straong support for Obama's leadership. But both side of congress seem to be stridently building a case for their own re-election with no real thought to resolving teh very serious crisis we are in. I am going to look into the idea of Open Primaries that was in teh news in CA last week. Seems if we bet more level headed middle of the road types, Republican or Democrat, in office we may have a better chance at getting something done.