Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Resistance is Futile

I look like I've been partially assimilated by the Borg. Actually, it's a 24-hour heart monitor. Despite the fact that I actually weigh less now than when I was in college and am in better shape at 44 than I was at 24 (yes, I'm bragging) my heart has decided to beat in mixed meter (irregularly, for you non music readers).

It's been going on for about a month now. I really don't think it's anything serious -- I've gone through some pretty strenuous workouts (see: body weight lower than college) and I'm still here. Still -- worth getting checked out.


The worst part about this is it messes up my workout routine. And they shaved my chest where the electrodes are.


Actually, she shaved my chest. The most sterile, uncaring nurse I've ever met. It was one of the most awkward feeling moments in my medical experience. She had me stand, hover over the trash can while she shaved me. It felt strangely humiliating. The few rectal exams I've endured felt less violating (and part of me saw it as a lost opportunity...this might have been fun with a male nurse).
My ticker is in all likelihood just fine. But the whole experience reminds me -- something's gonna get me eventually.
And resistance is futile.

No comments: