Tuesday, July 15, 2008

That New Yorker Cover

I think it's good satire -- of the ignorance of the people who oppose Obama because he's black/Osama/Muslim/terrorist etc. The images portrayed in this cover are believed (I'm sad to say) by people I know.

It's bad politically for Obama...but I don't guess the New Yorker is in business to elect him.

I don't have a problem philosophically with the magazine for publishing it.

What bothers me more is the speed at which we Obama supporters have to so quickly and ardently deny that he IS a Muslim. To me, Islam, like Christianity, is another religion I don't believe in. I know a great many Christians I admire and call friend. And I know a few Muslims with whom I'd rather break bread with than some Christians. We're often wrong to judge people by the labels we attach to them.

And that's partly what this cover is saying.

4 comments:

Matty said...

I do not disagree with what you are saying. I do not agree with the choice of covers because this will only feed the beliefs of people who think this to be truth. In that respect, I think it is tasteless. I will be interested to see if the New Yorker publishes an equally "satirical" cover of McCain next month. I'd love to see one of McCain in a rainbow boa, riding on a float in a gay pride parade, or perhaps on the alter with Sen Craig, repeating the vows to a lesbian minister...

Capitol Hill 20210 said...

I agree with what you are saying, I am not even a Obama supporter and I thought this the cover was in poor taste.

Mattydale has a point - they need one with McCain - its only fair.

good post

Gilahi said...

That's a problem with really "good" satire. Too many people just don't get it and believe it's representative of the truth. I do agree that the cover is in very poor taste.

Jenn said...

Two thoughts:
A. I can't believe there are people out there who still believe Obama is Muslim because of a picture of a turban or some mass email they received.
2. I wish Obama would take the stage one of these times and ask what's wrong with being Muslim? It's the extremists, the terrorists to be admonished. 99.9% of Muslims in the world are not extremists or terrorists. It's like saying that all Christians are fundamental Evangelical gay-haters. It may feel that way sometimes, but they're not.