Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Summoned!

For Jury service in the DC Superior Court. Didn't I just do this?

I've been on two trials in DC, both criminal, one a murder trial and the other an assaulting an officer case. Both trials lasted two weeks. Both resulted in hung juries.

I'm not anxious to serve again. I was frustrated by our inability in both cases to reach a verdict. In the murder trial it was 8-4 guilty. The 4 who voted not guilty failed to offer any rationale other than "the government didn't make a case." Okay, so the physical evidence and eyewitness testimony corroborate each other, how didn't the government make a case? They refused to explain their position. I begged them to, explained why I beleived the guy was guilty, please tell me why you think he's innocent. "The government didn't make a case." It was like watching a White House press briefing. So much for "well and truly trying the facts of the case" as the judge instructed us.

I know I'll get picked. This time, though, I'm going to be the foreman.

No comments: