Saturday, June 13, 2009

Random Thoughts on the Pride Parade

I marched with the Marriage for DC contingent in D.C.'s Pride Parade this evening. Devoted Scott's Take readers and personal friends may be surprised to hear that, given my experience two years ago.

Well, the marriage issue has got me wanting to take to the streets again. So, here are some random thoughts about the parade:

  • It didn't rain. I have yet to march in a gay pride parade with rain. So if you wanna march dry, better make sure I'm there.
  • Wow, some spectators were really drunk.
  • There seemed to be more people than ever.
  • DCDD Drum line lookin great!
  • The DC Cowboys may look Brokeback Mountain, but they seem to be increasingly clubbish in their repertoire. Still hot, though.
  • The Food and Friends float, and the drag queen in the grocery bag costume, were my favorite.
  • Lots of bride drag. I'm not sure that really helps. Oh well, not everything has to be taken seriously. I'm learning.
  • The DC for Marriage contingent was well received. A group in front of the Crew Club was exceptionally enthusiastic. Hmmm.
  • I liked the chant, "When I say 'dee-cee' you say 'marriage.' 'Dee-cee:' 'Marriage!' 'Dee-cee!" Marriage!" It was easy on the throat and since they didn't give us water that became really important for loud chanting, especially by 17th street.
  • Why do they have announcers at reviewing stands? Every group has people carrying a big banner with their name printed boldly on it. I think it takes away from what the people on the street are doing. I felt that way as head of a marching band; I felt that way as a dry-throated chanter.
  • If every person who took one of our cards signs our petition and gets five of their friends to do the same...wow! Pride matters politically this year more than ever, and in the next several years to come. Rather, it matters if we use the annual gathering to really come together and organize. Which means giving us your email address, people!

1 comment:

lacochran said...

lacochran812@gmail.com

Let me know how I can help.