Thursday, July 02, 2009

At the Smithsonian Folklife Festival

Summer is here and that means the Smithsonian has erected tents on the mall and invited folk singers and tellers and craft makers from far and near to come sing their songs, tell their stories and make their wares. This is done for the entertainment of tourists and today, for me on my way home from an early closing at work for the holiday.

I love the musical acts they bring to these things. A few years ago a sister duo from the Orkney Islands reduced me to sobs with a violin duet written by a man mourning the passing of his lifelong wife.

Today I listened to a Welsh duo singing about beheading horses. They said it was a Christmas song.

I did not stick around for the Halloween set.

Next I witnessed a beautiful, young African American woman and an elderly Asian man spontaneously (and actually somewhat sensuously) dance together to the music of a Colombian dance band. They were soon joined by dancers from every creed, race and walk of life.

I mean, does anyone do this anywhere else? America: a place where everyone, no matter who they are, can stand up and make complete fools of themselves.

(That was the point of the George W. Bush presidency, was it not?)

I took a picture of the dancers on my iPhone, which I will add to this post later. I'm too lazy right now.

No comments: