Thursday, June 12, 2008

More on Pride

Mattydale gives a full-throated* defense of the fun of hanging with friends at Pride. As if hanging with friends needs defending, my friend.

I find it necessary to point out I'm not against the fun, partying and hanging with friends that happens at Pride. And in many ways, that's a part of pride rooted in history, as it was the police raid of the Stonewall Inn where gays were gathered to do exactly that that started it all.

But does that justify all the resources, money and importance we place on Pride?

Paul Varnell writing in Independent Gay Forum has some common-sense suggestions for making Pride serve the community in practical ways. They are:

The service organizations that depend on volunteers should strongly encourage their volunteers to march in the parade. For instance, the local community center claims "hundreds" of volunteers. If so, show us. And show the general public our level of community spirit. That might encourage others to volunteer as well.


A generation ago, it was difficult to get any politicians except the most liberal from the safest districts to participate in the parade. Not any longer. The number has now grown quite large as every office holder and political aspirant wants the publicity of being in the parade. So now, in order to qualify for admission to the parade, politicians should have to sign a statement saying they support domestic partner benefits in their office and civil unions or gay marriage. If they don't, what are they doing in OUR parade?


The large corporations that enter floats should have to disclose whether they have a non-discrimination clause, whether they offer domestic partner benefits for gay and lesbian employees, whether they have and support a gay employees organization. And they should be encouraged to indicate any corporate support they have given to gay organizations. That information could be noted in the program booklet for the parade.


So, have fun, everyone attending Pride this weekend. I'll raise my glass to you from the mountains...and to the queers who kicked open the closet doors for all of us 39 years ago at Stonewall.

*"full-throated" It's the other cliche emerging out of the 2008 election cycle.

5 comments:

Matty said...

Full-throated? I prefer deep-throated.

Matty said...

Okay, I gave a silly comment, now for a serious one...

WIth respect to the specific topics you cover in today's bog, I am not disagreeing with you. My initial point was to offer a different perspective, because I felt that yours was jaded from the taste of last year's experience that was still sour in your mouth. Yes it was unpleasant and wrong. But time moves on, and we need to move with it. SO, should we hold politicians and corporations who want to be involved with Pride festivities to a higher standard? Hells yeah! Am I tired of seeing Carol Schwartz in a car waving and smiling while remembering the night we attended and HRC rally and she said she does not support Gay marriage? You bet your boots mister! Who drives that change? Not the current regime who is running Pride.

Next year there is to be a changing of the guard according to what I have heard. This a perfect time to begin changing the way Pride works. It's also a time for people like you and me and anyone else who is tired of the status quo to get involved and make a difference. If there is one thing you taught me, it is that one person can indeed make a difference.

Scott said...

I'll volunteer if you will.

Matty said...

I'm in!

Anonymous said...

My problem is I belong to so many groups that I cant be with all of them at Pride.. so I pick DCDD :-) (damn back is out so have to drive the chase car.. but will be there! why? so the guys at USDA who are too scared to come out because it will affect their job will see someone with a 15 and a TS clearance show it HELPS your career to be out!) Have fun in the hills.
BV