Friday, November 21, 2008

Obama and DADT

I think I understand why Obama will move slower than I would (and the community would) like on repealling DADT. Some read his appearent un-boldness to a lack of commitment to the repeal. Others think it's undue caution. These people say Obama is afraid of an anti-gay backlash like (Bill) Clinton failed to stand up to.

I think differently. I haven't seen anything (yet) that makes me think Obama is backing off his conviction that DADT is unjust and should be repealed. And I do think people are more accepting of gays in the military now than when (Bill) Clinton was first elected.

But. The comparisons he would invite between the start of his administration and the (Bill) Clinton one would be inevitable if he tackles this out of the starting gate. That's a comparison that I wouldn't want made of my administration. It has nothing to do with fears of an anti-gay backlash...and has more to do with not wanting to be seen as Clinton Part III

Yes, yes...lots there are lots of Clintonites popping up in the new Obama administration, including Bill's wife. But Cheney and Rumsfeld were Ford administration retreads and the George W. Bush tenure was just so much like the Ford years, no?

The top guy and what he does is what matters, and so far Obama has been careful not to replicate (Bill) Clinton's mistakes during his transition. That would include not jumping on DADT. Not because of substance or a fear of a backlash or a changing of heart...but because he doesn't want to provide an easy narrative that compares his actions to the former president...who got off to a rocky start. Obama is about smooth. He will do this, I think...but find the smooth path, if possible.

Obama can appoint Clinton people...he just can't act like (Bill) Clinton.

And if the smooth path is not possible, ole Barack better be willing to take a few rocks for the gays who want to serve. Because he said he would and it's the right thing to do.

1 comment:

macshaggy said...

Scott, I agree very much with you. Let me also throw this in: the Clinton Administration did a very good job getting us to vote for him. We did it because we thought that maybe the Gay community would finally get some rights. When Clinton picked up the mantle of Gays in the military I was disheartened.

I felt that he shouldn't worry about the military until the GLBT community had more civil rights acknowledged. I felt that Gays in the military issue couldn't change until GLBT's had more protection and equal rights.

When Clinton didn't stand up to those that fought him on the issue, and he compromised with DADT, I knew that we in the GLBT had lost.

Now under Clintons we made a lot of strides but we still don't have the equal rights that I thought that we should have had.

Obama is right in taking the military issue slowly. He really should concentrate and help us with other issues, like social security benefits, filing tax returns, and things that are Federal issues.

If we can get some of those benefits it makes other issues for us to deal with in the future.