Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Vote for Change

Today I voted for change.

Not just a change in who lives in the White House. Not a change in policy. I voted for a change in the guiding vision for this country. I voted for the hope that Americans can overcome our differences and be one people in a time of great challenge. I voted for the hope that we can debate the great issues before us without demonizing our opponents or relying on appeals to our basest instincts. I voted for the optimism of "yes we can" that proclaims - despite the dark clouds before us -- that better days are on the horizon. I voted for an America where people aren't defined by their race or religion. An America where the son of a broken home and of mixed racial heritage and of modest means can be the President of the United States.

The line to vote was the longest I've seen in the 11 years I've voted in the District, which was no surprise. It was like attending church service -- quiet thought, interrupted by moments of great joy, as when a DC Metrobus went by and the kids on board held up handmade Obama signs for those in line to vote to see.

And now, we wait.

No comments: