Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Thoughts on Prop 8

Fuck.

That's the short version.

That a majority can vote to stip rights from a minority is fucked up. That some people get to vote to invalidate the relationships of others is fucked up. That people who overwhelmingly voted for change by supporting Barack Obama also voted their homophobia is fucking infuriating.

I'm also mad at myself. I was so obsessed with the Obama campaign I didn't pay much attention until the end. So I made some donations, posted a few blog comments and sent a few emails. Looking at it rationally, there was nothing I could have done to change the outcome. The blacks and Latinos who flooded the polls also voted for discrimination. But I still feel like I could have done more, should have done more.

As goes California, so goes DC. We may have hope in the White House, but I can give up my hope that DC will follow California and pass marriage equality.

Perhaps gay rights hit its high water mark in my lifetime with the California State Supreme Court ruling. Our charge for full equality was soundly defeated yesterday. And I fear it's an electoral loss that will take a generation to overcome.

I am bitter. I want to declare I will never again attend another wedding. I will never perform in another wedding, as I have twice in the last year and a half. Until gays can legally wed in this country, let's stop attending their weddings, stop giving them gifts, stop making floral arrangements, planning their ceremonies and serving as their bridesmaids and groomsmen.

Fuck marriage.

4 comments:

FoggyDew said...

Movies, wine, computers and eBay. Stop watching movies made in California. Stop drinking wine from the state. Stop buying Macs (including iTunes and iPods) and computers from other companies based in California. Stop buying and selling on eBay.

Don't know how I'm going to stop using Google, but I'll try to think of a way. Any suggestions on non-California-based browsers?

I, as a straight man, proclaim a boycott on all things California.

macshaggy said...

I agree that this sucks but the fact is the New York Times reported months ago that Obama was not for Prop 8, on the side of the Latinos and African Americans who supported Prop 8, his only real beef with Prop 8 came a few days ago when he stated that any constitutional discrimination was a bad thing.

There's even a speech on the Internet where Obama stated as a Christian he couldn't back same sex marriages. He stated that that he was wrong but he still couldn't support it.

It totally sucks but it really shouldn't be surprising. It would be easier to elect a minority President but we are still not considered a minority and that sucks just as much.

Anonymous said...

This will likely wind up in the U.S. Supreme Court. And, ironically, I think we have a pretty good chance there. Seven of the nine justices who ruled in 1996 (Romer v. Evans) that the federal Constitution prohibits letting the electorate decide to make any group of citizens into an underclass even by amending their state constitution to do so are still on the Court, and while we'd probably lose one vote with Alito in O'Connor's place, that would still give us a 5-4 majority assuming everyone else stayed the same (and that Roberts would, like Rehnquist, vote to screw teh gay).

Curtis said...

My elation over President Elect Obama is also a bit dampened by the choice of bigotry and restriction of rights in California, Arizona, and Florida.

When one sector of American society is denied civil rights, than all are. It's just that simple.

I'm hoping that the Obama administration will put this issue in their top ten priorities of things to do at the Federal level.