Monday, September 29, 2008

Carol Schwartz Doesn't Get It

Carol Schwartz, a long-time member of the DC City Council who was defeated by a challenger in the GOP primary here, is running a write-in campaign. In an op-ed in today's WaPo she tried to explain why she's running and demonstrates instead she is tone deaf to current political times.

The victories of Adrian Fenty over Linda Cropp and Barack Obama over Hillary Clinton, plus her own primary defeat at the hands of an unknown newcomer have taught her nothing. And she's still running on the past.

And her column includes this paragraph:

While I have never been mayor (though I tried to be four times), as a council member I have always been a sharp-eyed watchdog. I have used my legislative, oversight and budgetary roles to make government more accountable and efficient -- not in an "unrelentingly negative" way, as characterized by The Post in another recent "unrelentingly negative" editorial about me, but in a way that has helped bring about positive results.

In other words, let me use my own editorial space to remind you how you rejected me for mayor four times. I'm a four-time loser. Remember? And let me repeat something negative the Washington Post has said about me.

It makes her "oldie but a goodie' campaign signs from the primary seem wise.

She ends her little article with this:

So when The Post says "Mrs. Schwartz admits to offering more of the same," indeed I do.

And therein is the problem, Ms. Schwartz. Voters don't want to know where we've been. In these uncertain times, we want to know where we're going.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dam-- skippy, thanks for speaking the truth about how she just doesn't get it. People want people who are innovative, and I am afraid that shoulder pads is a thing of the past. Do you get that?"