Friday, September 12, 2008

Quotes of the Day

Sarah Palin:

“Al Qaeda terrorists still plot to inflict catastrophic harm on America, and he’s [Obama] worried that someone won’t read them their rights..."*

Barack Obama:

"The reason that you have this principle [habeas corpus] is not to be soft on terrorism. It's because that's who we are. That's what we're protecting," Obama said, his voice growing louder and the crowd rising to its feet to cheer. "Don't mock the Constitution. Don't make fun of it. Don't suggest that it's not American to abide by what the founding fathers set up. It's worked pretty well for over 200 years."

The U.S. Constitution, Article 1, Section 9, Clause 2:

The Privilege of the Writ of Habeas Corpus shall not be suspended, unless when in Cases of Rebellion or Invasion the public Safety may require it.

*For a discussion of why Palin's comment not only trivializes an important issue but is fundamentally wrong, go here.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Of more concern to me was during her interview on ABC she said she was prepared to raise her hand to "protect and defend the United States" instead of the oath which is to defend the CONSTITUTION.. although the Constitution doesn't specify an oath of office.. the one currently used is the same that reps and senators use:

I, [Vice-President Elect's name], do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter. So help me God.

Its obvious she hasnt even read the constitution...

I also have a pet peeve that the oath military officer's swear to is the SAME one all federal employees swear...yet somehow that is always neglected to be mentioned. Our oath is:

I, [name], do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter. So help me God.

5 U.S.C. §3331

BV - 27+ years of service to my country.

Scott said...

BV -- You're spot on. After eight years of the current administration running roughshod over the constitution, it will be refreshing to have a constitutional law professor in the White House.