Friday, October 19, 2007

Friday Fashionista – Must Have Jackets

I do not usually like to use this column to promote the latest fad or some must have item. However, this can be an exception to the rule.

There are two jackets I need to rave about… the military jacket and the quilted jacket. Here is my advice: do yourself a favor and get at least one of each. The military jacket has the epaulettes, the fitted seams, and the great adornment on the cuffs and pockets. The quilted jacket (or vest) is classic – it has the look of vintage chic with a relaxed edge – kind of like a Burberry quilted jacket… it just always looks good

A few tips to offer:

1. Be selective – there are many of each style to choose from. For instance, there are more structured military jackets, while there are some that are more “adorned.” I have my own preference, but my advice is to find one that fits YOUR image and personal style. If you do choose one that is, shall we say fancier, make certain you pair it with items that are more subdued so you are not walking around looking like Rufus Wainright or Graham Norton.

2. Make certain you have a good fit with either of these – or else you come off looking like you are playing dress up. Both offer completely different looks – fitted vs. cool biker look. So keep that in mind when considering fit and your own body type. Also, I tend to shy away from the quilted jackets that are “puffy.” They can make almost anyone look like the Michelin Man. And that’s a no no.

3. Color – I have to admit, with respect to the quilted jackets, I am partial to black. It is simple, and it just looks so hot. Regarding the military jacket, there are several examples I have seen (and now own) that I am partial to… black, chocolate brown, olive, grey, and so on.

Here are some examples:

This Military Jacket from Banana Republic is particularly nice – you can dress it up or be more casual. And I love the details and the fit.

This example by Juicy Coulture is so hot. Check out the fit and the details.

Here is an example from Banana Republic of a quilted Jacket. As I mentioned, you cannot go wrong with a black quilted jacket. Plus, it is slim and not puffy.

This is a beautiful example of a quilted jacket from Faconnable with great detail on the collar.

Like any item I purchase, I keep an open mind and an eye out for something awesome wherever I go. These are suggestions to use as a guide for fit and finish. Depending on your budget, you may have more or less to spend on an item. Other than that, as always, be sure to select an item that fits your personal style. And of course, have fun finding and wearing your new attire!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ummm, no thanks. I mean no disrespect or offense FF for your fashion sense, but I'd rather pull out my Member's Only jacket from the closet and put that on.

Matty said...

No offense taken. This is a look that is certainly not for everyone. It is pretty popular right now, and as I mentioned, I do not normally like to push trends. However, both of these items come on many variations - and you don't have to be a 20 something to wear either.

Keep the comments, questions and especially requests coming! I live to serve!

Anonymous said...

FF - what is your opinion about those 'bowling' shoes that I've seen people wearing for the past 5-6 years? You know - those shoes that look like bowling shoes but are dark leather or something? A few years ago, my late 30's friend used to wear those after dating a twentysomething for a short while and I thought he did it just to be youthful. Of course I never got a pair thinking that I would be perceived as trying to be youthful and trendy. Your thoughts?

Matty said...

Regarding the bowling shoes - I will give more feedback in my full article, but I think they have more than run their course. They were very popular about 4 or 5 years ago, and some are makers are clinging on. I personally prefer offerings from Puma, Le Coq Sportif and the like - who have made great updated versions of atheletic wear popular in the 70's. These are both pretty trendy options. Casual footwear for men has some nice options with slip ons as well. More to come.