Thursday, October 04, 2007

Whither Mr. Gay Iran

The post and picture I published about Mr. Gay Iran (in response to Ahmadinejad's assertion that there are no gays in Iran) is gone. At Mr. Gay Iran's request. He asked in the comments section that I remove his name and picture. I complied -- as are others. Google him and many of the links to the pages that referenced him are now 404.

I can only guess at Mr. GI's motivation, but I suspect, even though he lives in Canada, that involuntarily being made a visible symbol of a people Mr. Ahmadeinejad systematically persecutes made him uncomfortable. Such is the power of a tyrant, reaching over an ocean to instill fear.

If you want to help support Iran's fledgling and persecuted gay community, check out the Iranian Queer Organization.

1 comment:

Steven said...

Or perhaps Mr. GI has family or relatives still in Iran?