Thursday, October 04, 2007

Gay Authors?

A reader comments that they didn't get that much into gay writer Christopher Rice's work. I admit I liked "A Density of Souls" far better than his second book.

But it got me thinking about gay authors...I find much of "serious" gay literature to be depressing...from the City and the Pillar to A Boys Own Story to Christopher Bram's recent Exiles in America. The Front Runner, while a sad tale, is an exception. I very much enjoy Michael Thomas Ford's novels. And another classic I've read several times Gordon Merrick's One for the Gods.

I guess when it comes to reading fiction I'm looking for escapism. I get enough real life in my own.

I'm looking for something to read now. Suggestions?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you read Tales of The City? The most recent book in the series was published earlier this year. I got an autographed 1st edition for my partner for Christmas. He is going to be so excited!

Steven said...

I very much liked the Front Runner. The seasons are changing which will allow more reading than housework or yard work. Your mention of Michael Thomas Ford provides many books to look into. While, I too, would be interested to see what other bloggers suggest. Snow Garden by Rice didn't have as much "substance."

Anonymous said...

If you like Fantasy/Sci-Fi/Horror there's a book series called "Bending the Landscape" that has a collection of GLBT short stories in each themed-book.

I think its out of print but you should be able to find them used via Amazon.