Tuesday, July 15, 2008

To Kiss in the Sunlight

Nothing seems to get the wingnuts more riled up this side of gay marriage than gay kissing.

A kiss can be many things. It can be chaste, a quick sign of affection and familiarity between friends or partners of years. Or it can be steamy...a passionate act of love and lust. A kiss is intimate, eyes, mouth lips and face all coming together as one. A kiss is a tender moment between two people. It's an act of relationship.

Perhaps that's why it gets all the wingnuts so riled up. Consider:

Heinz just pulled an ad featuring a gay kiss between two men clearly in a committed relationship.

A few years ago SLDN held a protest with a kiss-in that was labeled a credible terrorist threat

And at a High School in New Jersey the principal had teachers blacking out a picture (manually, with markers) in the year book of two male students kissing even though there were photos of "straight" kisses.

The gay kiss is a potent symbol.

And as long as our straight friends can enjoy a peck, a bus or a passionate momentary lip-lock in public, we should too. As the song says:

To kiss in the sunlight, and say to the sky: Behold and believe what you see. Behold how my lover, loves me.

So, I'm starting my series "To Kiss in the Sunlight." I'm going to periodically post pictures of gays kissing. I'd prefer real couples as opposed to actors or models, so if you have a picture of you and your sig other you wouldn't mind me posting, send it: ksbarker3064@yahoo.com.

While I have a steady readership it's not large enough to result in a lot of photos, so I will post what I find on the Internets. But I'd prefer the real thing, so send em in!

No comments: