Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Tyson Homosexual

You may have heard about the American Family Association's little issue with automatically replacing the word "gay" with "homosexual" on their news Web site. Normally this filter is used to prevent using the word gay to refer to those of us who "practice the homosexual lifestyle."

But when it gets used on a story about runner Tyson Gay (whose last name is, indeed, Gay) it results in copy like this:

Tyson Homosexual was a blur in blue, sprinting 100 meters faster than anyone ever has.

His time of 9.68 seconds at the U.S. Olympic trials Sunday doesn't count as a world record, because it was run with the help of a too-strong tailwind. Here's what does matter: Homosexual qualified for his first Summer Games team and served notice he's certainly someone to watch in Beijing.

"It means a lot to me," the 25-year-old Homosexual said. "I'm glad my body could do it, because now I know I have it in me."

Ahem.


You may have seen this already, but this afternoon via the WaPo I read another AFA "gay" gaffe about NBA player Rudy Gay that made me laugh out loud:

Memphis Grizzlies backers hit the hay hoping that Kevin Love would open things up for Rudy Homosexual in the frontcourt.


Gee. And tonight when I'm practicing my homosexual lifestyle I'll be going to the cleaners, walking the dog, cleaning the guest bedroom and getting ready for work tomorrow, before sitting down to maybe watch more of the John Adams HBO mini-series. Nothing about getting opened up in the frontcourt.

This homosexual lifestyle is boring!



4 comments:

Shannon said...

I saw "Tyson Homosexual" and thought somebody was breeding gay chickens.

I need to get out more.

Gilahi said...

Man, just think of the difference that this could have made in some of our popular history. "The Flintstones" theme song would have ended with "we'll have a homosexual old time!", and the little poem about the day of the week on which you're born would have ended with "but the child that is born on the sabbath day is bonny and blithe and good and homosexual." Heck, it doesn't even rhyme.

Scott said...

Not to mention a favorite Christmas song: "Make the Yultide homosexual."

Anonymous said...

and here all along I thought it was "make the Yuletide lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, questioning, or whatever term you feel most comfortable or none of the above as long as you feel welcome and included unless you would rather not be associated with anything". :-D BV