Friday, September 19, 2008

Musical Weekend

Three things I'm excited about this weekend:

First is the resumption of rehearsals of the brass quintet I am in, Stonewall Brass. I play tuba in this small ensemble.

The other is I start guitar lessons. I've been playing guitar since college, taught by my good friend Chuck Pelletier (whom I've lost touch with, again...Chuck where are you?). But I could be a lot better. I enjoy playing and singing (tho I just entertain myself and have never really played for other people). But I want to get better and who knows, I may end up doing an open mic or two.

Finally, I'm going to prepare for an audition to play tuba for the Capitol Symphony Orchestra. I'm not sure my playing is going to be up to snuff so I have no prediction if I'll pass muster (my guess would be not). But we'll see.

I wasn't sure what role music would have in my life after the accumulated frustrations and personal failings in leading community music for 14 years and this weekend marks my first return to trying since I stepped down from the band in April.

I'm happy about it...but let's just keep things small.

5 comments:

Cyndy said...

Good Luck with your audition! In the meantime, here's a concert you might be interested in:

A fundraising cabaret-concert for the Obama campaign will be held this Saturday at the beautifully restored Atlas Theater, 1333 H Street, NE. Bar opens at 7:00, concert is at 8:00. Noted local singer Steve Washington will perform with a 7 piece jazz band. Donations start at $35 and there are plenty of cool places to go on H street afterwards. Tickets can be purchased at the door or by visiting www.aconcertforchange.org/. Please spread the word, and I hope to see you there!

Anonymous said...

Hey Scott,
If you decide to get really crazy, there's an open mic at the Warehouse (It's on 7th St NW, near New York Ave) this coming Monday night 9/22. Sign up is at 7:30 and singing starts at 8pm. I won't be able to be there as I'm going to VEGAS this weekend! The bad news is that Bette is on a break right now. The good news is that Cher is filling in for her! Talk to you soon, Dean

Anonymous said...

Good luck with the audition sweetie! :) Y'know I'm rooting for ya! -Bruce

Matty said...

First, let me say how FREAKING excited I am to be making music again with you in Stonewall! OMG!

Second, I know you look back over the experience with the band differently than others. However, my wish for you is that you recognize the experience for what it truly was - a great success with twists and turns and ups and downs. It was certainly not a failure. Give yourself more credit than that!

And third, you told me you can play Both Sides Now on the guitar. I hope to hear that someday.

Swoper said...

ahh....my evil plan to keep you involved in music is seeing some results.....hehehehehe.....

I'm SOOO glad you're playing in Stonewall.

And I completely second Matty about your time with the band. You made my own life much much richer with what you gave to the band, and I'll always appreciate that and love you for it.