Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Bow Down Before the Power of Santa

I'm not in much of a Christmas spirit this year...I don't really have a good reason (other than perhaps the let down of not having Eli here. We had a truly wonderful visit but it just doesn't seem worth celebrating without a child around. I don't have a religious reason to celebrate it. When I announced the other day to the LTR I didn't think I'd decorate this year he was shocked...and disappointed. This surprised me greatly. Every year I talk of my grandiose plans for decorating, which always includes getting the largest tree I can fit under our 12 foot ceiling. Each year he ribs me for it, protesting and complaining. So can he possibly be surprised when I decide if I'm just going to decorate for my own edification it's not worth it? Apparently, he can be. So he says he's going to do some decorating which means I'm going to have to end up doing it anyway, because you know he just won't do it the right way. Sigh.

And what I'm really dreading most of all is the shopping. Basically my family just does each other's shopping at Christmas time. We trade lists and go to town, ticking off each item. It's just not fun. I tried suggesting last year to my mother that we just buy for the kids or, at most, the kids plus each buy for one adult whose name we pick out of a hat. She looked as if she had seen a Grinch. I feel like Charlie Brown at the beginning of his Christmas special...I just don't get it anymore. Thus ends the longest parenthetical in the history of Scott's Take).

But it doesn't matter. We must all bow down before the power of Santa.

No comments: