Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Coarse Society (Don't Read This One Out Loud at Work)

Riding on the elevator at the new Target/Best Buy/Washington Sports Club complex, Eli and I heard a mother with young children in tow say something like this to an older woman (I think her mother):

"My fucking hand still hurts. And that fucking doctor didn't do a fucking thing about it."


And she said it in a normal, conversational tone, in front of Eli, her kids and everyone. Now, I can let loose with an occasional "fucking" (though "goddamn it!" is my curse of choice) but never in public (unless I'm really losing it) and never in front of kids and DEFINITELY never in front of mother.

So I said, "Would you please watch your language in front of my child?"

Which got me cussed out. As I expected, but one shouldn't take rudeness lying the fuck down, right?

I don't have a problem with swear words but do think it's rude to spout them in public with strangers present. I usually save all my swearing for the LTR. And kids don't know when it's appropriate to use them...as in the case of a coworker who's husband said "Jesus Fucking Christ" in front of their three year old, who then proceeded to use that expression in front of his devout grandmother over the holidays.

That, I would have like to have seen.

5 comments:

macshaggy said...

I used to have the mouth of a regular sailor but Bear slowly showed me the error of my ways. He doesn't have a problem with swearing but I was excessive years ago. Thanks to him I more mindful especially when I see kids around. It just sucks that people are becoming more rude and they don't teach their children manners which makes for more rude adults in 10-20 years time.

I'm not Republican but I do wish that they would bring back that 50's era of kids learning proper manners either in school or if I remember that old Leave It to Beaver episode there was a separate charm school for kids.

Thanks something we could bring back. Would you go to Auntie Shaggy's Charm School! ;-)

Herb said...

Good for you! I am always surprised (again) at the language one hears in public on the streets of DC.

Malnurtured Snay said...

You should've backhanded her and said "Bitch, here're some manners for you!" then stomped on whatever body part she was complaining about.

Foilwoman said...

Hey, I have a potty mouth, but not in front of my kids. My nine-year old thinks stupid and shut-up are the "s" bad words. She doesn't know what the a, b, c, and d bad words are. I think she has heard the "f" word (not from me, even though it flies from my lips when she and her little sister are elsewhere) but is unclear about its meaning other than some odd connection with the apprearance of little people ("Why is making a baby a bad word, Mama?"). I wonder about people who simply can't control the goddamn or fuck in the the presence of minor. I just don't get it.

Cellar Forum - Schneider's of Capitol Hill said...

did you slap the F$%&ing Beeaach?