Thursday, December 11, 2008

Inauguration Day: Be Prepared to Hold It

For all you out-of-towners worried about where you're going to stay on this historic Inauguration Day -- forget that. Worry about where you're going to pee.

DC Metro (our "subway" for the uninitiated -- and by the way, stand to the right on the escalators. If you actually encounter one in service, that is ) has announced it will be closing its bathrooms for security reasons (not that they were readily accessible to begin with).

Instead they will be setting up port-a-potties, about 1 for every 6,849 people according to one estimate.

So, although Obama is going to turn the page, I guess a lot of us will probably still be looking for a bush come Jan. 20.

Maybe that's what Obama meant by the "fierce urgency of now."


4 comments:

Malnurtured Snay said...

Too funny. I, for one, shall barricade myself in my apartment.

lacochran said...

I had NO IDEA the Metro had bathrooms. Now I have to know. Where?

Scott said...

They're not marked as restrooms and they're locked and access is at the discretion of the station manager, who has to let you in (at least, that's what I've been told). I've used them in a pinch. But by setting up portapotties the city is probably expanding the number of restrooms that would have been available had they relied only on the restrooms in the stations. So this whole story is a bit contrived.

But that doesn't mean I won't try and plumb all the potential humor out of it.

Anonymous said...

This is urinetown.
Your ticket should say urinetown!
-Dean