Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Love Me, Hate My Diet

I've come to that conclusion about my family and friends. They just don't support my diet! (And by diet I mean small "d" diet, not like I'm on Jenny Craig or Weight Watchers or some such. I maintain a low carb, low fat diet and rarely consume sweets). But it seems everywhere I turn family and friends are trying to get me to eschew my diet and chew the carbs.

"Just this once" is the operative expression, justifying my straying from the plan that's helped me lose and keep 50 pounds off my "big boned" frame ("You're not "fat," my mom would say to me, just "big boned.") Well, if I ate every piece of cake, cookie or pie every time someone said "just this once" I'd be swelling past "big boned" and right into the "husky" category.

It's not that I don't occasionally go "off diet." I ate homemade pumpkin pie at Thanksgiving, along with oyster stuffing (yum!). I'll eat my mom's Christmas cookies next week. I split a dessert at one of our favorite restaurants with the LTR last weekend...which is why I need to skip the stale chocolate that's in the kitchen at my office that everyone keeps telling me to eat.

Why is it other people feel they need to tell me what I need to put in my mouth (don't go there...)? Is it not enough that I'm obviously well-nourished and healthy, needing neither emergency lipo or an anorexic intervention anytime soon? I don't feel compelled to walk around telling friends and family what they shouldn't eat; why must they tell me what I should?

Love me, love my diet. It's that simple.

2 comments:

Gilahi said...

My mother simply doesn't understand how I can miss meat and yet not eat it. "A little bit wouldn't hurt you". She still seems to believe that eating meat is Biblical and that I'm somehow sinning be refusing to do so.

Scott said...

I know the feeling. My mother-in-not-quite-law seemed to feel I had a sacred duty to eat mashed potatos...seriously, I'd rather ingest the carbs from her oyster turkey dressing, which are to die for. Why waste the space on mashed potatos?