Sunday, January 31, 2010

Avatar

I've seen Avatar twice now, once in regular-D and today in Imax 3D. The difference -- not that much, really. The biggest difference were that the sound effects louder. Still a visually stunning, enjoyable film. For a 3 hour long cliche.

I realized on the second viewing what a cliche this movie is. From the hard-nosed bad ass military shithead, the awe-shucks hero (played by dreamy Sam Worthington), the evil corporation, the Dian Fossey-like scientist fighting the system to save the objects of her study (the casting of Sigourney Weaver was brilliant -- Cameron is relishing this cliche), the tribal dance and chanting...we've seen it all before. The local flora and fauna taking on the powerful military. Ewoks, anyone? May the Eywa be with you.

The movie can be forgiven all of that for it's visual effects. And Sam Worthington.

But what I can't quite forgive is James Horner's uninspired score. Horner has written some fine movie music and if I'm going to be on a boat that hits and iceberg and goes down by the head I can't think of more a more fitting soundtrack than what he composed for Titanic. Likewise if I'm going to take on Khan or blow up the Enterprise.

All composer's borrow from themselves, but really, much of the score for Avatar was Horner's score for Glory with conga drums added. And the Na'vi of Pandora sing in traditional four part harmony?

If you want a creative example of using western music to protray memorably the clash of Western and non-western culture I think the film music of Ennio Morricone in his score for The Mission meets the test. The haunting oboe solo...the floating first "Hallalujah," the unexpected entrance of the drums...yes, it's all western music but much more creatively used than what Horner served up for Avatar. Like the movie, we've heard it all before.

Did I mention Sam Worthington is hot?

4 comments:

Arash(Ari) said...

OOO I am so happy that someone else had some negative opinions about Avatar too. lOlOl I thought I was the only remaining insensitive and not arty guy in the world. lOl The visual effects were perfect. But there was no other creativity. The whole story to me sounded so much like the founders of the US story. A group of foreigners who go to another land to get to the important stone(gold) and the tribe which fights for its lands(Native Americans) and all the ceremonies that they have. In this case though the Natives win the fight of course with the help of a WHITE guy!

Arash(Ari) said...

By the way, I was not at SOTU. I looked for him on TV.

Scott said...

A coworker makes the argument you do that Avatar is racist, because a white guy has to save the day. I'm not sure I buy that as the Jake Sully character totally denounces and rejects his culture and race. You could not have rejected it more fully than he did, as he even stopped being white.

It's not clear to me that he brought the concept of "fighting back" to the natives, they were ready to do that when they were pissed at Jake's betrayal and he was tied to the stake. And even his ultimate tactic -- to conquer the big orange dragon thingy and unite the tribes -- was a tactic that had been done generation early by the Na'vi without an outsider's help. In other words, he rejected his history, his culture his skin and helped the natives beat the Earth people using Na'vi tactics. Finally, it was the planet itself that defeated the bad Earth people -- Jake and the Na'vi were going down in flames until Eywa stepped in.

What am I missing?

Matty said...

The Avatar was very enjoyable. The Mission... OMG - one of my all time favorite movie soundtracks. Couldn't agree more with you!