Friday, November 03, 2006

Legal Stranger

The Judge looked down from her high bench at me, and cooly said, "Under the law, you are a legal stranger to this child."

She was talking about my son. And I am a "legal stranger" to him.

I wrote a note to the LTR. "I'm dying." The judge was telling me that I had zero legal rights concerning my son, All rights were vested in his mothers. My name is not on the birth certificate, his mother's partner's name is listed where it says "father."

So despite the fact that he shares my DNA, despite the fact he resembles me, despite the fact that the LTR attended birth classes with the mother, took her food during the pregnancy, cared for her lawn so she would have flowers to look at during difficult days, were present during the birth, wiping her face with a cool cloth and holding her hand, despite caring for him and feeding him at 3 in the morning, despite the fact that he calls me "Dad" and the LTR "Pappa," in the eyes of the law we are nothing but strangers to this boy we love.

Now, I know it's my fault. I didn't take advantage of legal protection when I could have and now it's too late. But I relate this because in states like Virginia ballot amendments are going before the voters that would strip gays of legal protections concerning their families. I know what that feels like. It feels like you've been vomited from the body of society. And it means for the next 16 years the ability to see my son rests solely on the good will of his mother. If she were to decree I could never see him again, there would be nothing I could do about it.

These ballot initiatives have real consequences...they aren't some abstract definition of conservative morality, they will have real meaning for real people and will do real harm to gay families...which include children.

I hope that come next Tuesday enough men and women of good will come together and choose not to make Gay Americans legal strangers to society.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ok, I'm not gay in any way, but in the eyes if the "Law" there is no such thing!!!! "We find these truths to be self evident, that all men (mankind) are created equal, ..." so there is no race, gender or anything else!!
However lets go one step further,, back to the beginning. I call this the egg shell breaker, the egg shell being your head (ignorance, stupidity, dumbness, brainwashing, etc.) 1. did you swear an oath to support the Constitution or any other legal system? NO! 2. HAVE YOu SIGNED A CONTRACT TO support..."? NO! 3. Do you get paid to, support..."? NO!
Then therefore you are NOT subject to it are you?? NO!!! You are only subject to your creator and your creator gave you complete and absolute power over you!! Wake up!! You may be a "legal stranger" in the "legal system" but what has that got to do with you? Except that you're too dumb (not knowing) to know any better.
Look the Judges have 1. sworn an oath to support the Constitution 2. contracted to... 3. Get paid to support... and the Constitution is clear in that it sais twice that the judges in every state are BOUND by the Constitution!!
So, when you’re ready to challenge the ass hole on the bench, pretending to be something they are not (committing fraud) then let me know, we can work together and "hold them accountable". Otherwise your just boo hooing or as Jim Croche would say, "spitting into the wind".
You are like most ignorant people (purposely educated that way) and believe that "they" the wolves are supposed to protect the sheep. BZZZZZ -WRONG! Wolves eat and torture sheep and as long as we are divided and not DOING things to help, your part of the problem!!!! If your not fighting, studying, learning, challenging, taking civil suits etc. or helping others doing so, then you’re just giving them permission to continue to do what they are doing. Do you not understand that they "derive their powers from the people" when the people remain silent. We are the ones, you are the ones who give them permission by not TELLING them NO. No. No!!! After all rape is not rape (legally) if you don't resist!! But it is never too late to resist!!! To hold them accountable to their oath of office!! Put them in jail for committing fraud! It is your duty to do so. If you don't know how, write me and I'll share with you what I know. But you will be required to participate and do!
Show me, show the world that you disagree with this type of behavior and join others doing the same. In this case it seems simple enough that if the state can force the biological father to pay "child support" then she was wrong in saying you are a "legal stranger". But again the legal system is not your creator and has no say so over you or your creator. At the very least sue the woman for services rendered and then exchange for visiting privileges.. She could not have had this child without you "sperm" which came from you and that gives you substantive rights.
At any rate, if you want to DO something then write me at miracore@rcn.com please write "I want to do something" or "Hold them accountable" in the subject box. Otherwise, my condolences and all the best. Colin