Friday, September 21, 2007

Friday Fashionista – You Ask, I Tell…

A few weeks ago before I took a little hiatus, I asked for your input on topics of interest regarding what to or not to wear. One response was as follows:

I need your thoughts on a good pair of dress shoes. I'm still in that penny loafer "phase, (without the penny now). Some say to go retro with "wing tips" but that reminds me too much of Dad. :-)


When it comes to shoes, I must admit, I tend to channel Carrie Bradshaw from HBO’s Sex and the City. I LOVE shoes and shopping for them. So if this advice leaves you with more questions, the Friday Fashionista is available personal shopping advisory trips.

You cannot beat a classic and the wine tip certain lives on today in an updated format. You can still wear a modern wing tip and not look like “dad.” Although if you are truly looking for something new, here are some tips for shopping… I recommend you begin at a store such as Nordstrom. Even if you do not buy anything there, visit the shoe department, pick out something you like (make certain they measure you for size), and their well trained sales staff will bring you at least 4 or 5 pairs that are comparable in style. They typically are showing items in various price ranges, but I must admit there are times I selected one thing and bought one of the recommendations because I found it more stylish and more comfortable.

If you don’t feel the price is in line with your budget, at least try out the experience for fit and style and then go to DSW where you simply help yourself. The idea is to get a trained salesperson helping you and limit some of the choices. Places like DSW can be overwhelming unless you know what you are looking for, and sometimes the savings is not significant.

With respect to actual style, stay away from square toes. No one needs to look like Crocket and Tubs (circa 1985 Miami Vice). You need not buy a shoe with the pointiest toe out there, but there are alternatives to the blunt square toe. Slip-on loafers are a nice modern version of the penny loafer, and there is wide variety of styles – but I recommend whichever you choose, stick with a nice black or cordovan leather shoe. You can use them with your suit, your business casual attire and jeans.

Stay tuned for next Friday when I take on another reader’s query of what to do with the 5 year old suit.

4 comments:

Scott said...

You wrote:

When it comes to shoes, I must admit, I tend to channel Carrie Bradshaw from HBO’s Sex and the City.

MattyDale, when it comes to LIFE you channel Carrie Bradshaw...

Anonymous said...

ANOTHER week before i find out what to do with the 5 year old suit???

Steven said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Steven said...

Many thanks on the advice for shoes, Matty. And thank God you reaffirmed my feelings on the square toe shoe. My older brother, who is also "family", suggested this style, which were an immediate turn-off to me regarding look and style. Scott, enjoy your first weekend back home since the trip.