Wednesday, September 12, 2007

She Needed Her Butcher's Knife

I wasn't aware that such disgusting things happened outside of the movies anymore. But apparently in Sea Cliff, NY (of all places!), gay-bashing is still pretty common. And, of course, by "bashing," I mean "screaming anti-gay epithets, spitting on them and then beating them."

One of the women in a group who was asked to leave a bar over Labor Day weekend and then targeted because of their apparent homosexual tendencies is Josie Smith-Malave, a former contestant on Bravo's "Top Chef." Her straight sister, who was among those in the small group, was also spat upon and beaten. I'm sorry, but it's a sad day in New York state when the residents can't even stop the straight-on-straight hate?

As someone from a small town who would expect to hear of these things more often, I don't get a sense of this going on around here or in any part of the nation. I'm thankful for that. But at the same time, this sort of thing both surprises and sickens me even more when it happens. Shame on them.

1 comment:

Steven said...

I can't say what the reaction would be in my (home)town where I live as I am not out to many except the parents, a few friends and a few colleagues. The only time I was bashed when "openly" out was when we visited Northampton, Mass. We were egged while walking to a restaurant and yelled a few choice words.