Friday, September 28, 2007

Friday Fashionista: If It Suits You...

Since I am focused on reader comments, I have another I would like to share. I feel kind of like Dear Abby! The reader question was as follows:

I have a 5 year old suit. It is a very deep blue, almost black with a lighter blue pattern weave that is very subtle and you only notice it when you're up close. The issue (or problem) is that the pants have pleats and have cuffs. It is also a three button jacket. The suit was not cheap, and was wondering if it is okay to wear this anymore. Also, are three button jackets still okay? And if so, when not in a sitting position, do you button the top two buttons and leave the bottom third one unbuttoned? Am I all confused and hopelessly living in the 90's? Thanks.


Okay Blue Suit, let’s take this one item at a time.

First, a navy blue suit is a staple item, especially in Washington DC. So that is fine. In fact, good for you and your sense to pick a good basic that will transcend over the years.

As for the pants, you know how I feel about pleated pants. They drive me bonkers. They make anyone whether thin or sturdy look like they have a donut around their middle section.

So here is my advice – donate the pants, keep the jacket to use as an accessory with a contrasting flat front trouser. Here’s why. The cuffs could be removed, not a big deal. In fact, the cuffs could stay if they are not huge. But the pleats are not so easy to take out. Although a good tailor is worth his/her weight in gold, so you may want to check into it. Many of us get caught up in wearing articles of clothing well past their expiration because we paid a lot of money. And I am glad you brought that up. A routine cleansing of the wardrobe is necessary, and regardless of how much you paid, if something is out of style, get rid of it. Donate it or throw it away. New clothes are made every day. Plus, it’s better to walk into a meeting looking well put together, crisp and fresh in your up to date suit than to look dated frumpy because the suit was trendy at the time of purchase.

The jacket with three buttons is a classic. Two buttons and one button jackets may be en vogue, but a classic three button jacket is always a winner. When you get to four buttons, it’s too trendy and tends to look a little too modern, like someone on MTV would wear to an awards show.

As for your final question – wear your three button jacket with your tie and the top two buttons “buttoned” and the last “unbuttoned.” When you sit, unbutton your jacket (or take it off depending whether or not the leader of your meeting takes his/her jacket off).

I hope that answers your queries. If not, remember I am available for consultation!
Stay tuned for Croq and more Flip-Flop bashing next week when I take adults who wear children’s footwear…

3 comments:

Steven said...

Those "four-button" jackets also produce a very short lapel which really looks awkward. Good advice!

Anonymous said...

Thank you very much for the advice and guidance.

Looks like I'm gonna have to spend some money soon.

Now, I suppose we'll have to wait till next week for another answer to the next question on that post from a month ago.

Matty said...

you are welcome... And yes - I am tackling one issue at a time. Unless Scott allows me to post more than once weekly...