Friday, January 16, 2009

Directions to the Kennedy Center

A woman in an SUV calls to me (on my bike) on 14th and Penn by the Treasury building on my way home from work.

"Which way to the Kennedy Center?" she asks.

My first thought was "hell if I know, I play it by ear each time I drive there, do you think I can give you directions?"

My second thought was "why didn't you say, 'how do I get to the Kennedy Center?' so I could say, 'practice, practice, practice'."

What I said was, "go to K Street, turn left and look for a sign." (It's actually pretty well marked off K Street. After that, though, well, good luck!

The lady and her companion had no clue where in the City Kennedy Center is. In fact, at one point she asked me if the Treasury Dept. was the Kennedy Center.

Which leads to the final thought: In this age of Google Maps and Mapquest you came into Washington on a Friday night on Inaugural weekend during rush hour with no friggin' clue where you were going?

Do we think she made show time?

Maybe I should have told her the Treasury Building was the Ken Cen and let the Secret Service sort it out...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I suspect you did the best thing you could for her... generic, but valid directions.

I'm often amazed at how unprepared people are for getting to their destinations.