Thursday, January 01, 2009

New Year's in Love

The LTR and I are in a cabin in Love, Virginia., near the George Washington National Forest and on the Blue Ridge Parkway. We arrived last night around 5 p.m. and spent New Year's at 2500 feet in front of a roaring fire after relaxing in the jacuzzi.

Today we hiked Humpback Mountain, a short warm-up 5 mile hike before tomorrow's 11-miler. We had stunning views from the peak of the mountain, under pristine skies. The trick on the trail today was wading through mounds of leaves on the trail in places. The leaves obscured the path and the roots and rocks on it, causing me to fall -- the first time I've fallen on a trail since, well, I can't remember. The key to not getting lost on the trail covered by leaves is to keep your focus not just on the step in front of you, but on the trail farther ahead so you can get a perspective of where you are going. Sort of like life...if you focus just on the day before you and not see the longer road ahead you can lose sight of where you are going.

And so 2008 ends. It was a good year and a sad year. We mourn the loss of the LTR's father and the loss of our companion of nearly 16 years, Ranger. She is still sorely missed, especially when we can still see her on the trail with us, racing ahead and then racing back to urge us on.

2008 saw some great professional milestones for me; I loved the program I managed and it did great.

2009 promises to be a year of change...for our nation certainly as the candidate who promised change takes office. For us, the LTR and me, I see changes coming in our lives. We will get a new dog this year. And changes are likely for both of us professionally. When 2007 turned into 2008 I had a pretty good sense of the road to come. As 2008 changes to 2009, I know the road is about to turn...but I know not where.

And the adventure continues...I will try and see where the trail leads ahead, obscure though it may be, while keeping my balance over the unseen obstacles that find my feet.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I concur, looking ahead on the path before us helps us to keep focus on the big picture.

I certainly have always embraced change and hope desperately that those evoking change upon our nation are looking long term at where we are heading to prevent a greater crises than that which we each find ourselves in at the moment...but sometimes any change is better than not.

-C