Wednesday, April 16, 2008

DC US Park Police Goons -- Arrest at the Jefferson Memorial

All the policemens are going to be on edge what with the Pope's visit and all, but US Park Police always seem ready to overreach.

Take for example, the Jefferson Memorial midnight arrest of a woman who, with a group of friends, was dancing there in honor of TJ's birthday. Well, you say, their music was disturbing the peace. Wrong -- they were dancing to music in their Ipods they were listening to through earphones. (Hat tip: Metroblogger)

You might be inclined to right this off as a stunt -- but if it was a stunt why'd they do it at Midnight when no one was going to be around? Hey I'm thrilled that people younger than I am even remember who Thomas Jefferson was (me, having the advantage of having gone to school with him).

I know from first hand experience how thuggish the Park Police can be. One Autumn Sunday morning I was sitting with my son and our two dogs in Meridian Hill Park. We were sitting in the middle of a large lawn, and Eli was playing in the fall leaves while the dogs lounged nearby. A perfect Sunday morning.

Then the Park Police showed up. I saw her stop her cruiser on the sidewalk and she got out and walked across the grass over to us. My smallest dog, being the extrovert she was, got up, tail wagging, walked over to her to say hello. I honestly didn't know why the officer was approaching.

"Sir, your dogs are out of control."

What?!

"It's illegal for them to be off the leash."

I pointed out they were still wearing their leashes.

"You weren't controlling them. They walked up to me."

"You walked up to us. They were laying in the grass. Had you walked by, they'd still be laying in the grass."

It went downhill from there, with her threatening me with arrest. Although I'm usually pretty stupid in a confrontation, I eventually realized this was not a fight I needed, especially with my three dependents caught up in the middle.

And so, our perfect Sunday morning shattered by a thug with a badge who went out of her way to prove her authority.

Whether it's a father and son enjoying a quiet morning in a park or a group of libertarians pursuing some happiness to celebrate the birthday of the founding father who told the world happiness pursuing is okay, the Park Police is there to make sure we respect their auth-or-i-tay.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Its "US" National Park Service police...not DC Park Police...

Anonymous said...

Truth of the matter is, if your gonna trash talk someone get their name right. It is the US Park Police. How do you expect anyone to take you serious if you can't even read a badge right.

Scott said...

Anon 1 -- thanks I made the correction.

Matty said...

If you want to be technical anon, it's US Park Police - not US National Park Police - http://www.nps.gov/uspp/