Friday, April 11, 2008

Of Mid Life

Won't be long till I'm 44. Seems like just yesterday I was turning the big four-oh. Now I'm already almost halfway through the fourth decade.

I think the thing for me that's the most difficult about middle age is realizing exactly where you life is heading. In our teens and twenties anything seems possible and we're told to dream big.

Then life confronts you with choices and responsibilities. A course is set. You begin to travel that course, and at first, the forks you come to in the road will take to vastly different places, depending on which turn you take. As you go along, the forks become fewer and the divergence from the path you are following smaller.

You go from anything's possible to knowing exactly what is -- and isn't -- possible. The world narrows.

And that's what's tough about mid life for me. For now.

No comments: