Thursday, September 20, 2007

Republican San Diego Mayor Reverses Course and Supports Gay Marriage Resolution

Thanks in no small part, apparently, to his gay daughter and openly gay staffers (Cheney family, take note). From his statement:

“As I reflected on the choices that I had before me last night I could just not bring myself to tell an entire group of people in our community they were less important, less worthy or less deserving of the rights and responsibilities of marriage than anyone else simply because of their sexual orientation,” Sanders said.


In a reference to his daughter and two staff members who are gay, he said, “I want for them the same thing that we all want for our loved ones, for each of them to find a mate whom they love deeply and loves them back, someone with whom they can grow old together and share life's experiences, and I want their relationships to be protected equally under the law.


Watch the video of his news conference. It's very emotional and moving. (hat tip: Rex Wockner)

Hillary and Obama take note: this is what conviction looks like.

No comments: