Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Taxation without Representation - Still

The U.S. Senate refused yesterday to consider a bill giving the District of Columbia voting rights in the U.S. House of Representatives.

Earlier this week, I wrote a check for $4,500 to the U.S. Treasurer. It's my quarterly estimated income tax payment. Since I live in DC, I have no voice in the US House, which controls spending (at least according to the Constitution).

Ironies abound. We're spending blood and treasure to bring democracy to people who didn't ask for it half a world away while ignoring the pleas of people in Congress' back yard who dearly want it.

Voting rights for the District is one of those "debates" where there is no reason and often just emotion.

Senate opponents of the bill which would have given DC voting rights said it was unconstitutional -- they support, they say, voting rights, but it has to be done by making DC a state. Okay, Sen. Mitch McConnell et al, prove your sincerity by sponsoring a bill for DC statehood. But I know you wont, because you don't give a damn about DC voting rights, especially if it means two Democratic Senate seats.

Can I have my money back?

No comments: