Friday, September 08, 2006

Chris Crain Leaves the Blade

From today's Washington Blade:

Chris Crain, executive editor of the Washington Blade, is leaving the paper and its parent company Window Media later this month to join his partner in Brazil.
I'm sorry to see him go, I thought he brought a fresher, more rounded out view to the Blade's editorial pages (full disclosure: he accepted an op-ed piece from me once). His voice will be missed. I especially liked the fact that Crain held Republicans accountable but at the same time didn't give Democrats a pass. Crain's editorials were usually the best thing going at the Blade.

Unfortunately, that's about the best thing I can say about the paper. The other gay weekly in town does a much better job reporting on the community here. Sean Bugg and Will O'Bryan consistently provide quality in-depth reporting and writing (more disclosure: O'Bryan wrote a great feature piece on the band -- I told him at the time that his interview of me on the topic was the best and most thorough I had ever had). And the folks at the MW will take your phone calls -- unlike those at the Blade who act offended if you try to get them on the phone.

Perhaps the Blade will take this opportunity to rededicate itself to the Washington, DC glbt community. It would be a nice change.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't know what you're talking about when you say the Blade folks are unprofessional. I've had nothing but good experiences with them. They break good news, and give me the inside scoop, which is more than I can say about MW.