Thursday, September 14, 2006

Katie Couric

I tuned into Katie's newscast the other night to see what it is all about. Not bad, I think the approach to focus more on feature stories and less on the day's news that we've already read on line makes sense. And I'm glad Katie no longer has to watch the major news of the day unfold in her pajamas.

But she came off self-conscious, spending the first 2/3rds of the broadcast with a demeanor that announced, "I'm a serious news anchor, dammit!" and the last 1/3 perched on the edge of her desk with a big, sweet smile and a demeanor that said, "but I'm still cute and perky, and darn it, people like me!"

She should relax.

I keep reading that the networks are trying to appeal to a younger audience. I don't know how they can do that and have the news at 6:30. No one my age (yes, I'm lumping myself into the "younger" category, even though in gay years, at 42, I'm technically extinct) is at home from work and ready to plop down in front of the tube that early.

No comments: