Monday, September 11, 2006

National Anthem from the Brits, 9/11/2001

Andrew Sullivan linked to this today and I'm following suit. Here's the Buckingham Palace Band playing the American Anthem...a reminder of civility and global connection we felt in a day of utter brutality.

I didn't think I'd be so affected by the fifth year anniversary of 9/11 -- but seeing the news reports yesterday and reliving the events as they unfolded has left me feeling raw. My office was a block away from the White House at the time and I'll never forget what it was like to be fleeing downtown. No one knew what really was going on, there were rumors about a bomb at the state department, a fire on the mall, planes still unaccounted for. The most amazing thing to me was seeing the fear in everyone's eyes, and yet there was this errie quiet as everyone fled for their lives.

Side note, I wonder what arrangement of the National Anthem the Brits are using...it sounds different (and better) than any of the arrangements I've played.

No comments: