Sunday, March 04, 2007

Civil War Treking

Since my mother and the LTR and I are all Civil War buffs we toured some sites yesterday. Notable for the LTR was the house where Confederate General Stonewall Jackson died. The LTR's ancestors fought under Jackson and were serving with him when he died. One of his ancestors referred to Jackson's death in letters home that are still extant.

This is the room where Gen. Jackson died. The bed and the blanket at the foot are original, they were present when Jackson gave up the ghost.















Spookier still is this clock on the mantle:

This clock was there when Jackson was...and it still works. It's tick-tock broke the silence of the room. So my mom, the LTR and I stood in silence in that room and heard the last sounds heard by Gen. Jackson as he died.

And, since the anniversary of Lincoln's assassination is approaching, the white house below was, in 1865 a boarding house owned by Mary Surrat. There, the conspirators in Lincoln's assassination were meeting in March 142 years ago. It look much now as it did then (except for the blue awning and the "Wok and Roll Restaurant" name, of course). I have personal news about me and a connection to some Lincoln sites in town that I'm saving...but I'm quite excited.

No comments: