Thursday, March 29, 2007

Flowers for the Dead

When ordering flowers for a funeral (in this case my Uncle) and you are asked for the name of the recipient, they mean the deceased. That stumped me online so I ended up calling the toll free number.

Although I expected to need to enter the name of the deceased, labelling it "recipient" strikes me as a bit, well odd.

If you're morbidly curious, here is my Uncle's online obit. For some reason it does not mention he was a Vietnam vet. He operated a dozer in 'Nam for the Army Corps of Engineers and I remember him telling stories about running the Dozer and seeing paint fly off the blade as snipers shot at him. He also once told of being trapped with others in an underground storage bin while the Viet Cong took over their encampment. They were trapped for several days there with no water, no food, no toilets, no ventilation while the enemy tramped overhead. My Uncle said they all got sick and the smell and heat were awful.

I can dimly remember the family getting reel-to-reel tapes from my Uncle while he was serving and listening to them on the tape player my grandparents had. I wonder if those tapes still exist.



It's gonna be a rough weekend.

No comments: