Wednesday, March 07, 2007

From Scott, From Austin

My conference is over and I spent the late afternoon (in 70 degree temps) walking along the Colorado River enjoying the shirtless joggers scenery. Now it's off to dinner and then a (brief) night on the town (I'm tired!).

Thanks to MattyDale for keeping content going in my absence. One comment -- but why are homeless men buying coffee at Starbucks?

I stopped for a drink in the piano bar at the hotel. Billy Joel captured the pathos of the piano man perfectly...and I had one of those moments you can only experience miles from home, alone, surrounded by strangers. Then he played "Rainbow Connection" from the Muppet Movie. I know it's corny, but I love that song's wistful optimism. It's kind of how I'm starting to feel these days.

Tomorrow is a travel day, back blogging like normal on Friday. Enjoy your visit with MD.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't know exactly what made me think of this little story, but it has to be something with talking about homeless guys and you being from DC.

During the whole fiasco after the 2000 election, when the Supreme Court was deciding the fate of the country, a good friend of mine was walking through the city the day the decision was made. A homeless man asked my friend for some money. He gave the man a dollar bill and with one look at the money he exclaimed, "He's president for one day and he's got his mother's picture on the one dollar bill!"