Monday, May 28, 2007

Charles Nelson Reilly

Everyone's remembering the work of Charles Nelson Reilly on Match Game. And rightly so. I was a fan, and I used to watch that show every afternoon right after school. But he had an earlier (gay camp) impression on the lives of kids of my generation: The Evil Magician Hoodoo, on the psychedelic show "Lidsville."

God...he makes Tinky Winky look butch. I can't imagine the left not howling in protest if such a stereotypical character were to emerge today, or the right to have such an obviously gay persona on children's Saturday morning TV. But for three years he minced around Lidsville in full color and I was entranced. He had great fun and it was great fun watching him.

Click here to see the opening title of that show. Reilly appears at the end.

Bonus Points: Mark is played by the same actor who played Eddie Munster in the Munsters. And I think as I look back on it he was my first celebrity crush on Lidsville. Although I was only seven at the time...

No comments: