Friday, May 11, 2007

The Un-Safe Cutlure of DC Metro

It's no surprise that the Metro train driver was on her cellphone before she hit and killed two Metro workers who were inspecting the tracks. My own experience with Metro demonstrates a complete and careless regard for safety of others:

  • Last week, while biking down Pennsylvania Ave. (known as the "Kill Zone" by DC Metro bus drivers) a Metro bus pulled past me then cut me off, braking sharply, which sent me over the curb. The bus driver actually laughed at me (yes, I should have gotten the bus number and reported it, but I was too shaken up).

  • Last fall, while biking down 14th street, a uniformed Metro security officer brushed against me with his car as we both navigated through a construction zone where the bike lane was blocked. He stopped his car, cursed me, checked his car and sped off. Never once did he inquire if I were hurt.

You tell me -- do Metro employees really take safety seriously?

No comments: