Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Wednesday Workout: The Boyz Like Big Guns

The first installment of te "Wednesday Workout" -- fitness tips from the LTR. He'll respond to any questions in the comments section.

And I’m not talking about the boys at the National Riflemen’s Association. The bottom line when you go the gym is, “why bother” if you don’t have big guns to show for it? (Read: the key to eternal love and/or temporary lust is brutally brawny arms)

The problem, however, with many a gym rat’s approach to enhancing their “armories” is that they forget – or barely hit – the all important triceps, which is actually two-thirds of the whole arm complex. You want big arms, you have to do triceps. Sorry.

As a competitive powerlifter, there’s no competitive reason for me to have big arms. But that’s where the powerlifting gene gets trumped by the gay gene, which demands respectable bar muscles. As such, I devote an entire day to my bicep/triceps workout, and refer to it as my “Vanity” day. And vanity day always involves supersets.

A superset is a back to back exercise, working usually similar or complimentary body parts, with no rest in between. I do four sets of supersets, with a minute or two of rest in between, and am done in 45 minutes. Give this routine a try, and I can virtually guarantee results in 6 weeks. (If you don’t see results, I’ll be discussing why in a future post)

So you’re doing each of these supersets three times, resting for a minute or two between sets, and then moving onto the next superset. Capiche?

First superset – set of 10-12 for each

Dumbbell curls/standing triceps extension

Second superset

Barbell curls/triceps kickbacks

Third superset

Cable curls (1) (using any cable machine with a straight bar attachment)/nose busters (lying on your back, lowering the bar to your nose or forehead)

Fourth Superset

Concentration curls (sitting on a bench, with a dumbbell in hand, and your elbow on your knee)/over the head rope pull (use a cable machine, attach the rope that you can hold overhead with both hand, and straighten your arms out. This should slam your triceps)

Ok, give it a whirl, and contact me if you need any detailed explanations.

Next week’s post will be focused on the question of volume (no, it’s not about dating or hooking up.)

--- The LTR

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

*GULP*

Can you just follow me around the gym and keep me on task? Or better yet, just do the sets for me and I'll comment on how sore I would be if I were actually doing them?

I kid. I did find your post very thought-provoking. I'll give it a try probably next week. Thanks.