Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Jack and Lem

Here's a book worth getting:

John F. Kennedy�s best friend for three decades was a gay man, according to a new book published in May 2007, by Avalon, the month that would have been the president�s 90th birthday. Titled, Jack and Lem: �John F. Kennedy and Lem Billings. The Untold Story of an Extraordinary Friendship; the book documents the relationship between the two men from its beginnings at a New England prep school in 1933 until the gunfire in Dallas in 1963. The evidence presented indicates that Jack found out that Lem was gay early in the friendship. Despite his own heterosexuality, however, Jack didn�t reject Lem. On the contrary, the friendship grew and survived against the odds.

I wonder if most every gay man has at one point a deep personal relationship with a straight friend. I did. Some survive the coming out. Mine didn't (distance contributed as well).

But while it lasted, it was a beautiful thing. I still keep his picture in my study.

(Hat tip: Andrew)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My closest friend through elementary, junior high, high school and even through college was a straight man. Our friendship was so deep that people often wondered about us - arguing like a married couple. He, of course was straight as an arrow and a military officer (not that the two are linked in any way). When I came out to him, it took a while for him to adjust (about 6 months) but thankfully it survived. Since then, we had even more meaningful conversations about life, his relationship struggles, family etc. Today, even though we don't see each other or talk as often, we know that we've been through a lot together and separately, yet there is this unspoken affection/love between the two of us. I don't mind saying this, but I feel like he has grown up as a human being (from an immature bully way back when) since knowing me (since 1977)and especially since he now knows someone gay. When I do see him several times a year, he is unafraid to offer me a big hug in front of his wife, kids, parents, and strangers. Whenever I think of him, it brings on a smile.