Saturday, May 05, 2007

Our Country and the American Dream

While in Indy I was tasked with managing a business luncheon. Ariving early at the luncheon room at the hotel, I met our wait staff person, a middle-aged Chinese woman who has worked at the Hyatt for 30 some years. While waiting for lunch to begin, she told me with obvious pride of her eldest son who serves in the Army Corps of Engineers and who has been stationed around the world, including Afghanistan, and who is now stationed here in DC. She told me how while driving to work she sometimes worries about him, asking God to keep him safe and how three times w/in 15 minutes her cell phone would ring and it would be him calling to let her know he was okay.

When the luncheon was over I was saying my thank yous and said to her, "please convey my thanks to your son for his service to our country."

"Our country." I thought about those words later. Me, this midwestern white gay boy and this woman from another land and culture, whose family is in harms way for this idea called "America."

Our country really is an idea, not a place, a dream worth emigrating to and defending.

No terrorist can destroy that dream. We can only do that ourselves.

No comments: