Thursday, August 02, 2007

Dispatch from Illinois

I'm in Illinois now, here to pick up my son this afternoon.

When I tell people I'm in Illinois, they think "Chicago." No, no. I'm in rural, Southern Illinois, closer to Memphis, Tennessee geographically and closer to Mississippi than to Michigan culturally.

My parents live in a town of three thousand and some change, and it's the largest town in the county.

I stopped at a book store on he way here (yes, they have them here) to pick up something to read. I went to the section labelled "Arts" and the first book I saw was titled something like "A Heart Full of Soul: The Taylor Hicks Story." Hmm, I thought to myself...fiction, let's try fiction.

Anyway, it's a Maybury RFD family weekend. I'm meeting my son's maternal grandparents in upstate IL later today for the handoff. I'll report back.

I'll also report on what one local feels about Harry Potter. The gays and Harry have a biblical connection. Did you know that?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very funny about the book.....can I borrow it sometime??

And being a non religious person, what is the bibical connection you speak of?

And since you're closer to Memphis than Chicago, I'm curious to know if you've ever been to Graceland?

Anonymous said...

Here are some sane people who responded to that letter.

http://www.courierpress.com/news/2007/aug/05/letters-to-the-courier-ampamp-press/