Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Gay "Loyalty"

Robbie at Malcontent takes on Joe.My.God's criticism of Merv Griffin not towing the gay party line (as defined by JMG). I'm going to quote it extensively because I agree with it and it's well stated:

I’ll never understand this line of thinking. We are born gay, so the political slogan goes. Are we also then burdened from birth with one specific train of political thought? Are we consigned from the womb to being radical and leftist? Do we owe, from our first breath, a lifetime of checks made out to Joe.My.God approved charities and causes? And if we rebel against the gay authoritarians, are we then subhuman and failures?


There are demons here. For all the love and tolerance and all that jazz a certain segment of the gay community espouses, under the surface there are deep wells of anger, hatred, intolerance, and all the worst impulses of human ideological bondage just waiting to bubble to the top.


It’s odd to see them dart about under the surface from time to time in pieces like these.


There is definitely a failure here, but it isn’t Merv Griffin’s.


My single addition to this line of thought -- I'm against outing for the same reasons. I think the same reasoning applies.

No comments: