Monday, August 20, 2007

West Virginia Tact

On the way to Ohio for an LTR family event, we stopped Saturday in WV to get the kid a Happy Meal. Afterwords, while he was enjoying the McDonald Land play area, this rather larger WV woman asked, "Is he two?"

"No, almost three," I replied, amazed each time I say how quickly time has eaten his first years.

"Well, he's awfully small for a three-year-old," she said, in front of the kid and everyone.

She said it two more times. She pointed out her (I'm guessing) granddaughter, who easily topped my son in height, and said, "She's only two. He seems small for his age."

"Well, you seem pretty fat for your age." Okay, I didn't say that. Although I was born in West Virginia, I'm not from there. I'm from the Midwest where we just pretend we don't hear things we don't like.

And blog about them later.

1 comment:

Matty said...

The last time I traveled through that area, everyone was passing up McDonalds and slathering their food with High Fructose Corn Syryp and Lard so they could pack on the pounds faster. In this country where food is filled with too many calories and over loaded with sugar, our adults and our children are increasingly and alarmingly obese. Hence the need for even larger SUV's to fit their growing asses into... Your child is just fine.