Friday, August 17, 2007

The Ex-Factor, by the Friday Fashionista

Well gang, I am still alive and well. Just a little moist around the edges from all this humidity. I must apologize for my absence from Scott's Take - but to be completely honest, I have had trouble mustering up the energy to put on much more than undies in this heat.

And now, on with the show.

I must confess that lately I have found myself making plans to meet an ex for drinks. We've maintained a somewhat distant friendship in that we don't speak often, and we typically only see each other at a DCDD concert. However I recently found myself communicating with him regarding a new sports bar in town - Nellie's. He's a sports nut who maintains that he cannot find a queen in this area who loves sports and wants to settle down with a 40 + something gay male.


So while I have taken it upon myself to open a new window for him (as my Auntie Mame taught me), I am facing a question that I am having a little difficulty answering... what should I wear? I have a few days to decide, but two key points about attire I want to make that are applicable to anyone in this situation... I want what I wear to say:


- I still have it going on, and...


- We're just pals meeting for a drink so you can expand you social circles (and I have absolutely NO doubt in my mind that either of us assumes anything else).


My tip for my peers and myself is this - be comfortable and make it look as though your clothing selection was effortless when dressing to meet a former lover or love interest. Don't go all out, but we also don't want to look like we don't give a damn, now do we? In my case, I am leaning toward a black fitted military shirt (a la the GAP) and some slim-fitting dark blue denim from BR. And let's not forget accessories - Wrist Cuff, belt with rivets for something interesting, and my Puma shoes. It's fresh and a little trendy, but it's not me trying to be something I am not or never was. And that's the point.


Whether your style is top of the line ready to wear or flannel shirts with denim, look your best. Show'em you've still got it!

No comments: