Monday, August 06, 2007

Father and Son -- Full Circle

My Dad is an avid bass fisherman and has been for my whole life. He introduced me to fishing and boats and took me with him whenever he could. I took to the boat part, the fishing, not so much.

When my son was born a few years ago, I had a new appreciation for my Dad, and for the first time in nearly 20 years, started fishing with him again.

This weekend he took me and my son out on his john boat on the small lake he and my Mom live on. My son caught his first fish. I don't know if he'll like fishing -- or boats -- but it was still a right of passage and I was pleased and touched to have my Dad present and making it possible.

This is me holding the pole while Eli reels in his catch.















I hold the prize catch (a small blue gill, which we let loose) for Eli to touch. He's not sure he likes it.
















My Dad and Eli, steering the boat at sunset. Poetry.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

very cute and very touching...thanks for sharing.